Job Opening: Full-Time Custodian
The Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time custodian position. Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the custodian has the primary responsibility of cleaning District facilities in such a way to promote health and safety while reducing the spread of infection. It is the role of the custodian to follow daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedule District-wide; that is including, but not limited to, office areas, classrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, storage areas and entrances. This position will be required to work nights, weekends, holidays and multiple shifts when needed.
- Position: Custodian
- Category: Full-Time
- Salary Range: $15.00-$20.00 hourly DOE
- Reports To: Operations Manager
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Supervises: N/A
Under the general supervision of the Operations Manager, the Custodian has the primary responsibility for cleaning District facilities in such a way to promote health and safety while reducing the spread of infection. It is the role of the custodian to follow daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules District-wide including, but not limited to, office areas, classrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, storage areas and entrances. The custodian follows the cleaning schedule when the patrons are not in the center so no interference with recreational programming or events.
Essential Job Functions
- Follows and completes the District's daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. These duties include:
- Collects and bags all garbage from the center, placing the tied bags in a closed dumpster.
- Disinfects and cleans garbage and trashcans, and changes bags daily.
- Washes and sanitizes bathrooms’ fixtures daily with germicidal solution.
- Using germicidal solution, wet mops all washable floors daily including kitchen, bathroom, office and classroom.
- Washes bathroom, kitchen, classroom and other windows (inside and outside) and walls using germicidal solution as scheduled or needed.
- Using Auto scrubber on Gym Floor
- Vacuums all carpeting daily.
- Sweeps and clears entrance spaces, daily.
- Dusts, washes and sanitizes other surfaces as specified in schedule.
- Performs other cleaning duties as specified in schedule.
- Refills paper towel, tissue, toilet paper and hand soap in all dispensers.
- Changes light bulbs, as needed.
- Reports the following to the Operations Manager, or designated staff person:
- Presence of animals, vermin or insects.
- Need for cleaning supplies or equipment repair in advance.
- Water leaks, and other maintenance needs.
- All other health and safety hazards noticed.
- Participates in emergency drills and environmental safety activities, as requested.
- Attends and participates in District safety and in-service trainings.
- Performs other duties as specified in job description addendum or as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
Core Competencies and Skill Sets
- Experience in the custodial field.
- Knowledge of proper cleaning methods required.
- Effective oral and written communication skills commensurate with the responsibilities of the position are required.
- Knowledge and understanding of successful organization and execution of sanitary practices.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn and comprehend information from Procedures Manuals and other materials.
- Ability to function successfully within a team environment.
- Commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Ability to interact with customers and co-workers in a positive and courteous manner.
- Ability to present a positive image of the organization to members of the community.
- Ability to pass a physical exam every two years and a TB test yearly.
- Minimum 18 years old.
- Communicate effectively.
- Adhere to TVRPD core values and principles.
- Self-motivated with ability to manage work with limited direct supervision.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative with competent analytical and problem solving skills within established guidelines.
- Ability to operate effectively under stress; work in a flexible, adaptable, and resilient manner.
- Willingness to perform manual tasks requiring physical exertion.
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- Willingness to adapt and learn new skills/approaches.
- Understand, read, and follow instructions.
Education, Training, & Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of 12 months custodial experience in public service settings or related facilities.
Licenses and Certificates
- CPR and Red Cross First Aid certified or wiliness to obtain in three (3) months
- Valid California driver’s license; driving record must comply with District safety standards.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull medium weights, up to 75 pounds.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Perform work activities that include lifting, carrying, and moving objects; walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, and climbing; reading and communicating with others in writing and orally.
- Work environments include:
- Indoor office environment; and
- Outdoor environmental conditions regardless of weather conditions.
- Required to work nights, weekends, holidays, and multiple shifts when needed.
- Possess personal qualifications including emotional maturity, willingness to cooperate with various organizations, respect for children and adults from various cultures and backgrounds, flexibility, patience, good personal hygiene, and physical and mental health that do not interfere with responsibilities.
- Use of protective equipment per OSHA/CalOSHA regulations is required.
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases.
- Hourly, commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plan. CALPERS retirement package, accrued vacation and sick leave.
- Employment offer contingent on satisfactory DMV and SSCI background check.
- Employees must complete twelve (12) months of satisfactory probation.
How to Apply
Email or submit in person to TVRPD District Office the following documentation:
- TVRPD employment application(145 KB)
- any applicable certifications