Job Opening: Adventure Camp Counselor
Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District is currently accepting applications for seasonal Adventure Camp Counselors during Spring Break April 6-10 and Summer 2020.
Under the direct supervision of the Adventure Camp Director, the Adventure Camp Counselor is responsible for leading and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for children in a group setting (up to 20 kids depending on age). They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants.
- Position: Adventure Camp Counselor
- Category: Seasonal
- Reports To: Adventure Camp Director
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Supervises: N/A
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for your camp group.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavioral issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide Counselors in Training and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- If applicable, maintain constant surveillance of the pool area/body of water, know/review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately.
- See camp specific addendum for program details.
- Upon hire, completion of TVRPD provided First Aid, CPR and AED training/certification.
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, physical games, and activities.
- Must be capable of carrying loads of up to 90 pounds and able to traverse hilly and uneven terrain without undue exertion.
- Work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Perform essential program support to camp activities and programs which may include, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead, crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at ground level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoor in different climate.
- If applicable, hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- If applicable, remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- If applicable, see and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Minimum Wage - $15.00 DOE
Employment offer contingent DOJ background check, including fingerprinting.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a TVRPD employment application(1000 KB) to Sierra Torres, Adventure Camp Director. Candidates may submit required materials in person at:
TVRPD District Office (view map/directions)
490 West D Street
Tehachapi, CA 93561
By email: email@example.com
Sierra Torres, Adventure Camp Director
PO Box 373
Tehachapi, CA 93581
Interviews will take place over the next few months, with an anticipated start date of Monday, April 6, 2020
Application deadline: Open until filled.